Friday, September 5, 2014

I Drank the Kool-Aid: An Announcement

Engaged!
We were hiking at the Pinnacle (a great hike if you live in driving distance!) and were investigating the cave that goes through the side of the cliff face and then back up a thirty foot chimney. It was awesome! But the SPIDERS, man, the spiders! And there was no way in hell I was going further into the crawlspace that started about fifty feet in. I'll dangle my feet off the side of the cliff and rock-scramble till the day I die, but I am not jamming myself between two rocks. WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT. Climbing up the chimney was a lot of fun, you had to put a foot on either side, and at one point Phil was balancing his weight with his head. It was our twelve-year anniversary.

Yup. Twelve years with this dude.




We look like such a typical couple. It feels like the complete opposite of typical. Wearing a ring has been prompting all sorts of life-history questions, from coworkers, strangers, etc. It's weird having so much attention suddenly brought to the relationship when Phil has been such a bedrock of my life for such a long time. How do I explain twelve years of emotions? Twelve years of hard work? (And it is work, don't lie to yourself. But it's work with great rewards.) Boyfriend never seemed to carry sufficient weight whenever I explained our relation. Fiance doesn't either, to be honest. How about The person who energizes my soul and challenges my brain and strains my patience to the absolute breaking point but always makes up for it by being generally awesome. Too dramatic? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment