Friday, August 1, 2014

Some good reads

Just wanted to drop in to share some articles I've enjoyed this week.

I've mentioned before how I stopped writing in March. Life got crazy, I still feel like I'm running on overdrive, and I'm desperately trying to sort everything out while working on the house and giving up my weekends for the endless stream of social gatherings and prior engagements, and occasionally fitting laundry and dishes into the mix. This post on The Art of Rest by YA Highway reminded me that I don't need to feel guilty about not writing, I need to enjoy what I am accomplishing. I have a library now, full of my beautiful books. I have single-handedly organized, researched, and purchased backpacking gear for two people. We have more (hand-me-down) furniture that makes our house look like a home and not an extended closet. I have cucumbers, tomatoes, raspberries, and daisies in the backyard. And my favorite coworker started a writing group. This non-writing spell will not last forever. =]

Hacking the Writing Life: On Being a Writer with Three Jobs by Kameron Hurley. I could never be a person to give up all manner of traditional jobs. And by traditional, I mean something other than 100% stay-at-home/self-employed. While I am an extremely motivated person with a hundred things I want to do, I still need something to get me out of bed and dressed or I'll just watch Netflix all day and never shower. Plus, I go stir crazy easily. I need something to get me out of the house. And... I don't know. I like seeing a successful writer who doesn't feel the need to quit society for the sake of their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment