Friday, May 23, 2014

Have some things!

I am making up for my lack of intelligent things to say by sharing cool pictures and videos. And perhaps I will throw in a recipe!

For instance, this absolutely brilliant video of Peter Dinklage summing up Game of Thrones in 45 seconds. I was in tears I was laughing so hard. I would just like to take this moment to say that last scene in Sunday's episode (the one with Prince Oberyn and Tyrion, I don't know how to describe it without giving anything away) was one of the most badass, gutwrenching scenes in television that I have seen in a long time. It was better than the Red Wedding and Dracarys, better than the last season-half of Doctor Who (though that isn't too hard), and I would be more than happy to have Prince Oberyn pledge himself to me for anything. Just saying. He's got your back.

More Facebook creeping. Look, I don't like Facebook much either. I don't really care to know what everyone and their mother is doing, I don't want to weed through all the uninformed political rants, and I don't care which bar you're at or who is the mayor of whatever-the-fuck or who beat level whatever of Candy Crush. But there's no denying that it is a great tool for getting in touch with the people you are interested in connecting with. But this is how I feel about it: Facebook has every right to use their app to bring in revenue. They are, after all, a business. If you don't want them knowing which music you listen to or what tv shows you watch, don't install their app. If you really don't like the way they handle their privacy rules, don't put personal information up on FB, or don't have a FB at all. By putting your information into their servers, you have given that information up to them. If they decide to use it, and you accept their privacy/sharing agreement by continuing to use their product, there is nothing you can do about it. Suck it up or remove yourself and your information from their system.

The way I see it, there are certain things you give up by living in society. And that's just how it is, if you don't like it, feel free to live in a secluded cabin in the woods. For instance: yes, airport security sucks. Yes, they invade your privacy and make you late for flights. But if getting patted down is what it costs to keep other people safe, they can pat me down ALL FUCKING DAY. If tearing apart my suitcase allows them to find something nefarious in someone else's suitcase, they can tear it apart for every goddamn flight I take. If that is the cost of getting me and everyone else several thousand miles in a few hours (a luxury modern society allows us), that is a trade I am willing to make every single time.

I could talk about this all day. Moving on. \end{rant}

Fordite, though I was skeptical, is actually pretty awesome.

And here is the promised recipe! I make a mean chili (not vegetarian, not gluten free). Phil's brother is the original creator of this banging dish. I usually also add a tablespoon or so of taco seasoning, for a little extra som'in'-som'in', and always extra red pepper, because food should be SPICY at all times always.

Epic Chili “It’s really more of a gumbo”
  • 6 small chicken breasts, 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 cans black beans, 1 can light kidney beans, 1 can dark kidney beans
  • 5 jalapenos, 3 bell peppers (green, red, yellow), 2 zucchini
  • Onion and garlic, to taste, fresh or granulated (I'm allergic to onion, so I never really include this in recipes. I guess normal people would use a full onion and 2-4 garlic cloves??)
  • 2 cans sweet white corn
  • 2 cans crushed tomatoes, 1 bottle Corona (or equal amount chicken broth for GF)
  • 1/4 cup chili powder and 2 tablespoons cumin, salt and pepper
  • Shredded cheese for topping
1. Bake chicken breasts at 350 in covered dish for 35 min. Shred.
2. Sauté ground beef with onion and garlic, if using.
3. Dice veggies. Add everything to large soup pot and simmer until veggies are tender. Add extra seasonings to taste. Serve with rice.

The chickens are fighting back.

Beautiful rhododendron in full bloom in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment