Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Way Way Back

I don't typically write movie reviews, but this was so charming and so under the radar I thought I'd spread it around a bit. The Way Way Back is about a young, awkward teen finding his place in the world, dealing with his parent's divorce and his mother's dick boyfriend.

Steve Carell walks a very fine line between "dick" and "misunderstood," but in the end we were all able to agree that he was just a dick. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks. Sam Rockwell was hilarious and awesome and it's impressive that he could be so funny and have not a single trace of dickishness in him. Liam James was a fantastic awkward kid and it's great to see him moving on to bigger things after being the young Shawn Spencer from Psych.

You'll like this if you liked Perks of Being a Wallflower and Safety Not Guaranteed (IMDB also recommended The Silver Linings Playbook, and I have to agree.)

No comments:

Post a Comment