Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Busy Bee

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Mine was nice, but also stressful. And as wonderful as it is to have off work, taking that time around a vacation is counter-productive to say the least. I didn't write much. I didn't clean much. And I didn't watch ANY West Wing... Instead I spent the vacation hanging with friends home from college/careers, and ate a lot of Taco Bell and pie and drank a lot of beer. I'm happy to have my routine back (even though opposite shifts still suck, as usual).

All I want to do is hole in and drink tea and do all the writing I didn't get to do last week. Except, we're getting a new fridge on Saturday (fucking awesome) so we decided to demo the breakfast nook to hang new insulation and sheetrock, paint, replace outlets and light switches, lay the new flooring, etc (decidedly less awesome). In ONE WEEK we need to be completely finished! O_o

I am not ready to rip anything apart again, even if it is a tiny room. We finished the living room at the end of 2012 (dude we whipped that room into shape so fast (but I guess you have to live somewhere, and we LIVED in that room until April—we are seriously good at sleeping two people on a couch)), but we didn't finish the bedrooms until August. I mean, the front room is still serving as an extended closet, tools and crafty shit and childhood memorabilia in one big mountain of STUFF.

Don't let my complaining make you think I don't like the house. Because the house is fucking awesome. Having a place of your own is fucking awesome. Being able to host a one-person cooking party at midnight on a Tuesday is fucking awesome.

There's all kinds of awesome to go around.

I finished one book recently:

How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff ( GR | BN )
I read this interview with the author, and I haven't heard anything about this movie at all, but I am totally excited for it! Watch the trailer here. None of the theaters around me are showing it, I may have to wait until it's out on DVD.

The book is short, less than 200 pages, and written stream-of-consciousness, without even quotation marks. I like books like this, with a very distinct voice (like Blood Red Road by Moira Young). But this was just so short. I wanted more. The story was so compelling, so powerful, it was sad to leave the characters so quickly. But I think if it was written traditionally, in a 300+ page book, it would have been too rough to get through. So maybe it's a good thing that it was short. It reminded me of Letters from Rifka, a book I loved as a kid. You have to read this. It's heartwarming and lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment