Thursday, July 4, 2013

Small woes

The story I'm working on right now is something I started in the beginning of the year, when my focus was on the house. It's still on the house, but we are SO CLOSE to finishing the upstairs—just a week away if everything goes as planned, and it WILL go as planned, dammit!—and that finish line is close enough that my focus is suffering from wanderlust and I'm getting back into the writing. (Which is a great thing.)

Anyway, back in the cold months (oh, how I wish for you again!), I'd scrawled a map on a piece of paper, complete with notes about the different people and characters and what the countries believed in and everything about this conflict that would drive the story. I'm working on that story now, but I can't find the map! It's not in my last notebook, and it's not in the pile of papers with various notes and story pieces on them. I don't think I would have thrown it away (as evidenced by the piles of crap, napkins, receipts, and pages with VERY IMPORTANT THINGS written on them), it has to just be lost in the mess-that-is-our-front-room right now. But it's so frustrating! I can remember the basic of it (it was a pretty simple map) but I had distilled everyone's beliefs very nicely on the original, and now I can't remember all of that. I still have the plot notes, since that was typed out on the computer, but I can't find the goddamn piece of paper.

Just one more lesson to SAVE EVERYTHING, FOLKS. This may also be a good time for me to have a back-up plan in place in case I ever lose my notebook. That is the one bad thing about handwriting everything, it only exists in one place. I guess I could take scans of the pages, but my writing is interspersed with my journal (and everything else I decide I need to remember for the rest of my life), and it just seems wrong to take scans of my journal. I know many writers keep their notebooks in the refrigerator in lieu of a fireproof safe (a la Stephen King?), but a) that doesn't protect it from my own stupidity, and b) our fridge has such a bad seal I don't think that would work anyway. A conundrum for another day, I suppose. Maybe I'll find it once we get a chance to sort through all the stuff in the front room. Hopefully.

Happy Fourth, everyone.

Update: Something completely different.
Twelve Tones - A very cool video on creativity, randomness, and a bunch of other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment