Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Little Brother


I finished Little Brother ( GR | BN ) by Cory Doctorow on the train this morning. And after reading this tense, fascinating book, if I had to describe how I feel in one word, I would pick "satisfied."

And not satisfied in the "it was alright, I'm glad I read it" sense. I mean it in the "that book was everything I wanted it to be and more" sense. As in there is absolutely nothing that could have made this book better. As in holy shit, I am so glad this thing exists.

Honestly, there's not much to be said other than it is amazing, well-written, entertaining, and smart. The characters are bad-ass and yet never use means outside the access of high schoolers. Doctorow obviously worked his ass off to put this together, and it shows. The flow is smooth and logical. The info dumps are interesting and manage to keep everything moving. I'm pretty sure I've learned more about computers reading this book than I did in college, and this book only cost me $10.48.

I am absolutely going to be reading Homeland ( GR | BN ), the sequel that came out this past February. But I am not including the description, because I don't want to give anything away from Little Brother. Seriously, the book was so good.

Update: I also want to mention that at the end of the book, there is a bibliography. It has all sorts of books on security and hacking and websites about privacy and freedom of information and the like. I LOVE it when authors do this. It's one of the reasons James Rollins is my go-to thriller guy. What can anyone possibly love more than a book that inspires you to read more books? *sohappy*

No comments:

Post a Comment