Friday, May 17, 2013

Book thoughts

Check out this fantastic wall of YA book for BOYS. Because, you know, there's absolutely nothing out there for a boy to read. Let's not mention the fact that my little brother and I swap books all the time. I'd also like to add Firebringer, The Mistborn Trilogy, the Redwall books, A Matter of Blood for the older set, any Forgotten Realms book by R. A. Salvatore, The Once and Future King, The Dresden Files, Stormdancer, Blackbirds, The Magicians, The Warded Man, Scar Night... Do you really think that boys don't like romance? Do you think a book needs to be full of HULKSMASH and trains for a boy to like it? Do you think they're not figuring themselves out sexually, or want answers on how to woo a crush? I'm a girl, and I don't read strictly girl books, so why does a boy have to read strictly boy books? Why do books have to be labeled boy/girl? Not too long ago, I saw a thirty-something, burly MALE construction worker reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare at the train station. Do you know how many men buy romance novels? A lot. I've seen emo-skateboarders and ROTC men reading Twilight.  One of my best friends devours Tom Clancy, criminal profiling, and books on the Iranian conflict, and she's a girl. Honestly, I would have been really pissed off if I was only given girl books to read in high school. I read more boy books, actually, and I still do. But that doesn't mean I don't love Anna and the French Kiss or The Reece Malcolm List or The Historian. And additionally, when I was a teen I read adult books, and now as an adult I read teen books, so are you telling me that is the gigantic Barnes and Noble offering 10k+ books, you can't find anything challenging and interesting to read for a boy? So basically, stop being assholes and recommend without discrimination, because people like a little bit of everything. Thanks to Seanan McGuire for tumbling, which is a much more coherent and intelligent rant than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment