Monday, September 10, 2012

The Name of the Wind

I read it again. The whole thing, over the weekend. And after all the books I started and stopped within a chapter or two, this one grabbed my attention immediately. It sucked me in and I was happy and I didn't want to stop reading, so I didn't. I had the weekend to myself and didn't write as much as I wanted to, but that's ok. Reading is still a requirement of writing, and it reminds me why I want to do it in the first place. I'll admit it had me a little down at times, because how can I ever write something that compares to this book? By working my ass off, I guess. It gives me something to strive for! It's hard when all you have is a partial first draft and you can't help but compare your work to the published masterpieces. But anyway, this book was just as amazing as I expected it to be, which is why I wanted to read it. This is read number six or seven, but surprisingly the first time I've read it this year. Surprised I lasted this long. I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear now, which is only my first reread. I've been holding out for the mass market, but I have seven months until that is out so now is as good a time as any. By the time April rolls around it'll be time for me to read these again anyway!

The best part about reading is going back to the books that really resonate with you. Sometimes I have to remind myself it's ok to read something again. New books are great, but favorite books have power.

Update 9/11:
I just saw this article on A Dribble of Ink, and while I read about PR's new fantasy deal a little while ago on Publisher's Lunch, I couldn't believe how he so nonchalantly dropped the name of Day Three, The Doors of Stone. I haven't seen that mentioned or announced anywhere yet, though it does make sense. And for the record, I do believe Pat when he says Kvothe's story will finish in the third book, and I don't think the new series will be in the Four Corners world. As to whether or not it has a satisfactory, "hero beating the odds" ending, I have no idea. I can see it going either way. Also, OMG Day Three has a name!!!!

P.S. That fan drawing above is amazing and I don't want to post again to move it off the top of my blog. *g*

No comments:

Post a Comment