Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Irrepressible Library

The books are starting to pile up again. I've put the kibash on buying any new books for the month of July (paperbackswap and the library are still allowed). I now have so many good books in my possession that need to be read, there's no more room to be buying more. (But my bookshelf makes me so happy!)

First up, I'm currently reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I just took a quick look at the reviews on Goodreads, and people are really slamming it! But you know what? I LOVE IT so far. Yes, it's a girl book. Ewww. I bought this for my mom for Christmas and she loved it, and now I'm reading it and I love it. It has really clear, crisp writing, the historical period is heavily researched and full of detail, and the characters are dynamic and make bad choices and we fear for their safety and their relationships... really, all the things that make every other book good. This book doesn't go at a breakneck pace, but really it's the nice, heart-squeezing kind of book (with the bonus fantastic prose) that I need/want to be reading right now. I'm really just miffed that everyone one Goodreads is slamming it for a floozy romance. It is possible to tell a love story that is interesting in it's own right, and let this be a lesson to all you people who let yourselves be brainwashed by marketing departments. Read what looks interesting! In all genres! You never know what you may discover, what may become your next favorite book. When I picked up The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, I thought it was just going to be a crappy ARC that had been sitting in the bookstore for months and months. And it ended up being stupendous and amazing, and it's one of my all-time favorites.


I had such a nice surprise waiting for me when I got home yesterday: THREE books from paperbackswap! (If you haven't check out that site, you seriously have to. I can give away books I've already read or will never read to people who actually want them, and I get books I want in return! How awesome is THAT?) The Quantum Thief has been on my TBR list since it came out back in January 2011 (the sequel, The Fractal Prince, is coming out 4 September 2012). It's the right combination of weird and action and brainy science stuff that I'm really interested in. I'm thinking fans of Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space trilogy will really like this one.

I first came across Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie when I saw the David Suchet version on TV. What a fantastic movie. My jaw may have dropped at the end. He is by far the best actor to play Hercule Poirot. But, that made me want to read the book, and voila paperbackswap! In this mystery, Poirot is investigating a murder on a train while stranded in the snow. The characters are great, and like I said before, this story is all about the fantastic ending, and how Poirot grows as a character.

Also, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I've read American Gods and a started a few others by Neil Gaiman, and while I like his ideas and his essays, I find his fiction writing unemotional. I'm hoping Terry Pratchett helps with that problem in Good Omens, because I've heard all kinds of fantastic things. About an angel and a demon who team up to save the world from the apocalypse. Also, it's written by two geniuses.


These next two books, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, are quickly becoming (if they're not already) YA standards. TFIOS is about two teenagers battling cancer, and their subsequent romance. It's one of those cry-until-your-eyeballs-fall-out kind of books. TKONLG (the acronym for that looks like SCHLONG, hee) is a dystopian, I believe, and there's a talking dog. I don't know that much about it other than the entire internet was waiting for the final book in the trilogy, and then died a little bit when it was over. I may possibly need new tear ducts after reading the two of these. (But those are always the best books, aren't they? The ones that leave you raw at the end?)


These last two books are to give me a break from all the other stuff. The Prestige by Christopher Priest is the story of two dueling magicians, made famous from the movie with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. I've heard it's a wonderful book. A finally, Making Waves by Tawna Fenske, a lighthearted, quirky romance. Because everyone needs a feel-good story now and again.

So there you have it, the top of my TBR pile! This isn't even mentioning The Hollow City by Dan Wells (out yesterday, July 3), Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard (out July 28), Inside the Outbreaks by Mark Pendergrast (currently reading, though slowly), and January First by Michael Schofield (out August 7).

No comments:

Post a Comment