Thursday, June 28, 2012

Snippets: This is becoming a regular thing

I need some kind of relevant title for these posts. There are too many cool things on the internet to let them all slip by. This is my effort to spread the coolness around.

Writing by Danielle Steel. There is no replacement for hard work. It's always nice to hear this from someone who has churned out so many books. Well-known writers (including Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Brandon Sanderson) who tour the world giving talks and are always in the spotlight still have to sit their asses down for hours on end in a room by themselves and get the writing done.

Rothfuss Reread: Speculative Summaries. I've been following the reread (whenever I catch a link on Twitter) but I somehow missed the speculative posts about Day Three. The connections readers can make are just unbelievable. I've only read Wise Man's Fear once so far, but I've been itching to do it again for a while. I'm trying to hold out for the mass market paperback, but that won't be out until next March at least. In any case, I'm pretty sure Rothfuss is one of the smartest people alive. Did you know that he mostly holds all his ideas in his head as he writes? How is that freaking possible?

Literary vs. Genre Fiction by Lev Grossman. A really great (although lengthy) response to the New Yorker's recent genre bashing. I agree with Lev Grossman completely, and haven't I been saying this all along, that the Mainstream Fiction section gets the Genre books when they feel they are "literary" enough? Please explain to me how The Name of the Wind or A Game of Thrones is less literary than Shopaholic Takes Manhattan solely by the section it's placed in.

18 Rules I Learned by Myke Cole. All the reasons why writers should throw the rulebook out the window (in one convenient post).

This is what I want to be when I grow up. A book princess.

For anyone else who thinks Seanan McGuire is one of the coolest people in the world (she is on my list of people I want to meet) she's done two interviews recently. The first is at the Sword and Laser podcast, and the second on Wired's Geek's Guide to the Galaxy podcast. I actually really enjoyed the Geek's Guide podcast more, because giving McGuire the mic and just letting her do her thing gives you a really good podcast (no offense to the hosts of Geek's Guide, but McGuire is awesome).

A fantastic list of original Sci-fi/Fantasy upcoming movies. (With a few book adaptations thrown in.) 

Books to replace your favorite cancelled TV shows. What's with io9's new comment system? Every article I see the comments are off. Do I have to sign in somewhere to comment? I haven't really looked. But I would mention Redemption Falls and all the Ketty Jay novels by Chris Wooding. Pretty much Firefly fan-fiction written by a professional writer.

Do you know how hard it is for a perfectionist to write a first draft of a novel? It's a very particular and special form of torture. - Caroline Carlson

Just finish. Let that first draft be messy. If you don't know how to deal with something, don't get on Twitter and talk about it, don't get bogged down. Write the question into the draft and keep moving. Murder doubt. Murder distraction. Murder perfection. Just finish. - Leigh Bardugo

No comments:

Post a Comment