Friday, May 25, 2012

Poetry, come to life

I don't read poetry. It's like reading the dictionary. I was a science kid through all of high school and half of college, and when I finally switched into English and started taking poetry classes (required, might I add), I was utterly lost. Here I was with all my classmates, the dunce. To them, a ten-line poem about a leaf told them about the epic struggle of good vs. evil, the inevitability of death, the beauty in the quiet, but to me it was just a goddamn leaf. (Ok, I wasn't quite that dense, but I was close.)

But I loved the discussions. We'd spend an entire period talking about one poem, and these talkative, emo, moody English majors (who I'd previously want nothing to do with) gave me stories to put to the poems, and then I saw them in a whole new light and loved them. (The poems, not the people.)

In any case, here is Invictus by William Ernest Henley, presented to you by Gavin Aung Than of Zen Pencils. It's a three part story, and the links to the following two parts are below the cartoon. And I highly recommened reading and following all of Zen Pencils. (Thanks to Beth Revis for sharing this first.)

No comments:

Post a Comment