Thursday, May 3, 2012

Irrepressible Library

So what's everybody been up to lately? For me, I proofread a friend's master's thesis, cleaned my room and did my laundry (simple, but daunting), and have been slowly but surely working through 90 Days to Your Novel. I spent an entire week on day three, and then the thesis pushed back day four several days, and I have a little to finish in day five's assignment before moving on to six. I know this means nothing to you, but you should know that I like working through something structured, and I am finding out a lot about my characters by really sitting down with them. This book forces patience. I like it. I also like the bite-sized chunks. Focus only on the task at hand, and I don't have to think about how daunting and impossible an entire novel seems. I recommend it. The first three weeks are all brainstorming, and I'm already excited for the actual novel-writing part of it. I wonder how it is going to be structured?

And as for Red Seas Under Red Skies... I don't know. The questions went around today for the second week's read along, but I just haven't done any of the reading. It's not that I'm not interested in it, I'm just more interested in other things. Which I guess is telling me something. I hope to still read it... but we'll see when it happens. Life is too short to read books I'm not in the mood for.

I am currently reading The Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, the first book in the Malazan series. There are a bazillion books in the series, and they are supposed to be really freaking good, so I'm excited to get into it. It's a hefty story, and I'm really enjoying it so far. This is actually my second attempt at it. I first tried right after college and I didn't have enough brainspace left over to comprehend it, so I gave it up for a bad job and read a slew of frilly teen books for about a year. The cover on the left is the version I have, but the one on the right is so much better I had to post it as well. Not sure if it's the UK version or a revamped US version.

This is my compromise between reading A Clash of Kings and not reading A Clash of Kings. You see, I'm watching the show, and it's amazing, and it makes me want to read those books again. But the last thing I want to do is read those books again. They're massive, and not that much happens, and that would just be years of my life I'll never be able to get back. Don't read them, Gina!

The first book of N. K. Jemisin's series The Dreamblood just came out on Tuesday, and I am super excited to read it! (Also, here is a really good article by Jemisin: The Unexotic Exotic.) The setting is based on ancient Egypt, and after reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, I am really excited for more work by her and also more work in another series. The second book comes out in a month or two, and I'd like to read both of them close to their release dates. But what am i to do since I am in the middle of Gardens of the Moon? #firstworldproblems. In any case, Googling "The Killing Moon" to get the cover image brings up a whole bunch of hot women with tattoos. Not sure how the two are linked, but I am not opposed.

Some linky-links from the Twitter world today: an interesting new blog on international scifi, and an essay on villains by Marie Lu on Pub Crawl. I need to work on my villains. As of now, I don't even have a villain, it's just an amorphous "baddie." Since the story is about a war, I'm not sure if that's okay or if I should really give the baddies a face. Still working on it.

 Update: How could I forget these? Both are on reserve at my library. Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear, an epic fantasy with an eastern-inspired setting, and The List by Siobhan Vivian, about the eight girls listed as prettiest or ugliest in their year. Every once in a while a YA book comes along that just sounds fascinating. The List is one of those books.

No comments:

Post a Comment