Monday, April 23, 2012

Irrepressible Library

Hi folks, sorry it's been slow around here. I'm buckling down on my WIP again, so it will probably continue to be slow. The good news is, I'm excited for it again! The bad news is, I took several steps back and so am no closer to completing a manuscript. But I had some good ideas that added to the conflict, character relationships, etc, and this time I'm getting some help:


I've tried to read The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron before, but was always turned off by all the "God, God, God" in the book. I personally feel that God doesn't have anything to do with me sitting my ass in the chair as getting some work done. But I forced myself to read past it, and I'm actually getting some really good advice out of the book. Like writing three pages every morning, which I don't always do, and when I do it's never in the morning, but it's definitely helped me get past the petty worries of day-to-day life and focus on my writing again. Usually the first page is full of griping, the second page actually has some meaningful stuff come out, and the last page is full of "omg I'm so bored is this DONE yet." I'm not working on the book's timeline at all, but I enjoy it. It gives me interesting exercises to think about, and it ensures I feed my muse and be all emo-writer-like and play the part of writer. And it's WORKING. I have to give it that. And forcing myself to write nonsense is definitely stress-relieving, so that's a plus in itself. I was never one to keep a journal, but I can definitely see the benefits. And I get proud of myself when I flip through all the pages I wrote. *g*

I also bought 90 Days to Your Novel by Sarah Domet. Once again, I'm not actually following the timeline, but flipping through the book is giving me structure to approaching my WIP. For instance, I always thought writing out character bios would be helpful, but could never find the worksheet that was juuuuust right. So I never did one. Which is stupid. I finally worked through the worksheet included in this book, and immediately came up with a hundred new ideas for my book and several things to add to the worksheet of my own and a few things to ignore. So I solved my own problem just by doing it, which I should have done a long time ago.

Reading these two books together is giving me a good balance of fluffy-writer-muse stuff and pragmatic sit-my-ass-in-the-chair stuff.

 The read-along for the second Gentleman Bastards book starts this week! Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. The first one was super good, but this one starts out a bit slower. I'm sure it will pick up quickly, though. I love discovering a new series! And the third book is supposed to be coming out later this year... In any case, I should have the main read-along page up sometime this week. If you want to follow along, check out Little Red Reviewer's book review blog for the details, and the first set of questions comes out this Thursday!

We went on a beer trip this past weekend, which was a lot of fun! First Selin's Grove Brewing, always delicious (but they got rid of my sandwich, THE NERVE) and then Bullfrog Brewing in Williamsport. It was a ton of fun! We had homemade root beer from both places, so that was fun to compare (Selinsgrove's was much better, but for some reason the take-out container had an awful taste). But we stopped in a  used bookstore a few blocks from Selin's Grove and I found this awesome book! A 1907 copy (in good condition, too) of The Crimson Conquest by Charles B. Hudson. I've never heard of it before, and not only did I buy it because it was really cool and only $13, but I'm actually excited to read it! All about knights in shining armor and all that good stuff. I don't want to carry it around with me though, because it IS over a hundred years old...

That's about it for new stuff. I want to really focus on my writing, so that means my reading will slow down a lot. Maybe it will be a good thing, and allow me to focus on my own projects, maybe it will make me snarky and irritable from lack of good characters to do the snarking for me... It would be nice to reread some books.

1 comment:

  1. The Artist's Way is an incredible book for artists of all mediums! When I saw it on the b/f's bookshelf I knew I was in love :)

    ReplyDelete