Monday, April 2, 2012

The Hunger Games

Phil and I went to see the Hunger Games over the weekend. I've read the book, he hasn't. Oh my god, it was so good. It completely enhanced the book. It went further than Katniss' perspective and gave of shots of the outlying districts, foreshadowing events of the coming books. I still don't want to read further in the trilogy, but the movie really layered on the themes. There are some things they didn't come outright to say, like Peeta being so into the games and aware that everything is "for the ratings."

It was a bit more violent than I expected it to be. The book is seriously violent and I knew the movie wouldn't be able to keep up with that when it had to keep a PG-13 rating, but they did a good job of making everything serious and horrifying with making me throw up in my mouth. I got teary several times in the movie, especially when Rue died! She was so adorable and that scene was so sad. One of the extra scenes of the movie showed Rue's district starting a riot and destroying the harvest and the gigantic HG television and attacking the police. It was very well done, and very heart wrenching to see the man (presumably her father) watching Rue die on screen surrounded by the whole town and then going straight for the police's throats.

Can I just mention one thing? WOW the Girl on Fire dress was cheesy. Talk about bad CGI. That's such an epic moment in the book, and it was laughable in the movie. The interview dress was bad too. I realize Hollywood can't go around lighting Jennifer Lawrence on fire, but still. On the other hand, I loved all the ridiculous Capitol fashion! That would make such a good Halloween costume. Which reminds me I never checked out the HG Capitol Colors nail polish line...

This made me really excited for the upcoming movies. I assume they're making them because this first one had to make a killing. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as Katniss, and Peeta was adorable, if two-dimensional, and GOD I have so many new reasons to hate this other character but I can't say who it is because P will probably see this and I don't want to give it away! THANKS A LOT. Not planning to read the other books, but maybe the next movies coming out will get me to read them.

“I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.”
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

No comments:

Post a Comment