Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The First Fucking Draft

Starting to get bogged down in all the things I have to remember. I have post-its on top of post-its on top of post-its, and I keep thinking of additional scenes and plotlines and I have to remember them long enough to decide if I should work on them or chuck them, etc. Characters are starting to need pinned-down histories because I need to start hinting at them, and having to stop, brainstorm, write down everything in some organized manner, and then keep going a) really disrupts my flow, and b) is immensely boring, even though it needs to be done. Jotting down notes in my notebook is not as simple as it was at first, and having something that's much more fluid will be useful, I think. I'm slowly gravitating away from pen and paper, and while that makes me sad, I need to get the fuck over it. I need to move quickly or I'll lose interest, and pen and paper slows me down. I'm thinking of plugging things into the Corkboard function in Scrivener, see how it helps. I have the 30 day trial, but other than working through some of the tutorials I haven't used it. That will mean I can only see my manuscript when I'm on my laptop, but if it works I'm sure I'll deal. I keep thinking about all the little colored pins that will help me track plotlines, and it sounds really appealing. I'm also really looking forward to revising, when I have a starting point and can focus on one thing at a time. I just need to drag myself through to get a framework, first.

Also, did you hear about Guillermo del Toro's resub of Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson? Sounds like so many kinds of awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment