Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

I know this book is supposed to be amazing. I KNOW. But I just can't do it. There's a reason I don't read classics. That's because they suck. I can't get into the language, I don't give two shits about social class politics, and things happen too slow and too little. I'm not saying I need a big flash-and-bang to keep me interested. The Name of the Wind is my favorite book, and look how slow and relaxed that book is. But it's all about the language, people. And the olden-day spellings? Really? Because I didn't have enough trouble keeping my editor-mind interested in the book, you have to throw in weird time-period spellings to toss me out of the story?

I'm not saying this is a bad book. It's extremely well written and I know the story is there, I'm so close to seeing it, but it's not for me. I want to know what happens. I'm extremely jealous of the reviews I've read where the reader completely fell in love with this book, and I wish I could fall in love with it too. But it's a mission for Wikipedia, not Gina's-precious-reading-time. Maybe in the future I'll pick it up again. But for now, Delirium.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the SAME WAY - about JS&MN and classics! But about classics, I really WANT to like them, to read them, but they're just too "old" and slow for me.

    I actually find the old spellings interesting though - it's the punctuation that gets me. I enjoy Pride & Prejudice, but it's a difficult read with the weird sentence structure and odd use of semicolons.

    I have a copy of JS&MN on my shelf, but I have yet to really give it a try. It sounds like such a good book, but finding the right time to get to it is hard. As you said, my reading time is precious, but someday...

    ReplyDelete