Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Irrepressible Library

It's time again for me to gush about all the books I want to read all while not really making coherent sentences on the blog. It's ok, just look at the pictures. I'm currently reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin. It was nominated for the 2011 Hugo, and while it is very good I don't see it as Hugo material. Not like Feed or Blackout. It's a surprisingly quick read, and I'm almost done! Review will be coming soon, I have a lot to say about this book. Read blurbs and sample chapters about it here.


Firstly, Archon: The Books of Raziel by Sabrina Benulis. HOLY CRAP I can't wait for this book. It comes out December 27, but I will be stalking my BN before Christmas to see if they have it in early. A bit of insider advice: If the book isn't labeled as "Strict on Sale" (which usually only the popular/bestseller authors are) you are allowed to buy it. Some books are in two weeks before the release date and are held in the back (just so they aren't ridiculously early), other books come in a few days before release and go onto the floor right away. I will be stalking/harrassing/buying chocolate for any bookseller that crosses my path. I want to read this book and yes, I am stomping my feet like a spoiled child. There's a great article on it over at Tor (I was happy to see it's a BN Bookseller's pick), and this is also where I discovered it. This is the book that makes you drop everything when it comes out. Angels, demons, love, harsh reality, thick like a textbook with history (a la Angelology), and not fruity like a YA novel. The angels are described as creepy, sexy, and totally awesome. What more can you ask for? Only in hardcover, not that it matters because I will be buying it anyway, and it will be passed around between my Mom and best friend as well. Did I mention how much I CAN'T WAIT??? It's just as bad as Harry Potter. It feels good to be so excited for a book like that again.


Dawnthief by James Barclay. I first discovered it on Elitist Book Reviews, and my interest kept growing as they reviewed book after book of Barclay's all with glowing reviews. He is actually the most reviewed author on that site... (Read everything here.) In any case, elves, awesomness, and badassness, all wrapped up in a series and tied with a pretty bow of another series. What more can you ask for? (I need to stop saying that.) All I can say is, read the reviews.Nothing comes more highly recommended than Barclay. He's awesome in the interview as well.

The books:
Chronicles of the Raven: Dawnthief, Noonshade, Nightchild.
Legends of the Raven: Elfsorrow, Shadowheart, Demonstorm, Ravensoul.
The Ascendants of Estorea: Cry of the Newborn, Shout for the Dead. (non-Raven)



I recently rewatched Firefly, and that's left me wanting some more Darian Frey, as well. The second book in the Tales of the Ketty Jay is The Black Lung Captain, wonderfully already released in the US. It depends on my mood and my wallet if I'll be picking it up soon, but it's definitely on my list.

I haven't talked about George Mann's Newbury and Hobbes series yet. I started the Ghost of Manhattan and couldn't really get into it, and that put me off the other series even though it's been getting great reviews. It one of those "investigator with plucky sidekick" books, always good. The first in the series is The Affinity Bridge.

Has anyone else noticed the plethora of books I WANT to read compared to the small pile of books I actually DO read? Yeah, I wish I could speed-read. But on the other hand, is a book still as relaxing/enjoyable if you fly through it?

No comments:

Post a Comment