Friday, December 16, 2011

End of the Year articles

Roger Ebert hates lists, but I love them. I love that lists will vary from person to person, and I love comparing them. I love the inherent problems in lists from forcing one to be a 4 and another to be a 5, when the differences between are significantly more or less than the distance between the two rankings. (Although you notice I avoid this anyway on my bookshelf page.) The end of the year brings about all kinds of "Best of" lists. Here are a few good articles about 2011.

The Best Films of 2011 - Roger Ebert
I was happy to see Hugo on the list because I also thought it rocked, but I was especially happy to see Take Shelter here. I've been dying to see that movie since I heard about it in summer, and still haven't been able to. There are a bunch of movies I want to hunt down before the Oscars (and I'll be hunting down those nominations as well).

These are the winter movies I'm dying to see, because I know you were wondering:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (ZOMG)
TinTin
Sherlock Holmes 2
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Take Shelter
Shame
Young Adult
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Darkest Hour
J. Edgar
Haywire
The Woman in Black
The Lorax
Snow White and the Huntsman (summer, but already psyched)
Also, a Daughter of Smoke and Bone movie? Yes, please!

Lev Grossman on Fantasy
Not a "Best of" list, but a very good discussion of how fantasy has changed over the last century, and especially in the last decade.

Also, hilarity. Most of them, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment