Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss

I just finished reading Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins last night. I got it from the library (lovin that library) and I read it in a few nights.

Firstly, this is a fluff book. In the fluffiest sense of the word. There isn't anything to the plot except does he like me/does he not, and other high school-y drama. Normally I wouldn't really be into this book, but it has been floating around the internet grabbing all kinds of good reviews so I gave it a chance.

And I have to say, it was very well written. Kudos to Stephanie. No, there isn't a the-world-is-going-to-die plot, or anything fantasy related, but it was a nice break. It was just a bunch of kids trying to get through high school. It was relaxing. And you can't help but fall in love with √Čtienne... =] This was exactly what I needed to read to de-stress myself.

My gripe was that it ended too early. The scenes themselves weren't rushed, but there was a lot of time passing between chapters and no real mention of it until suddenly, it's Thanksgiving, and the very next chapter, it's Christmas. And then all of a sudden, Bam it's the end of the year and their together. It all happened very quickly, and I would have like to see the characters fleshed out more, especially Anna. But alas, it's a teen book and has to be short. I'd be interested to know the word length of the book. And speaking of word length, this started out as a NaNoWriMo book! And, Laini Taylor is in her writing group! (Some folks have all the luck.)

I would definitely recommend this book. Even though nothing really goes on other than teen drama, it was very well written and a nice break from Real Life. I'm ranking this in Enjoyable. The not-a-sequel is out already, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and in 2012, Isla and the Happily Ever After. And the author has a day job, which makes me happy to see someone writing among Real Life.

Reading Next: I have no idea! I hate it when this happens! =/

No comments:

Post a Comment