Monday, October 31, 2011

A Note from the Writer's Desk

Alright, so I chickened out of doing NaNoWriMo. I know I can't make such a high word count (I think I have written that much in a day ONCE. Maybe.) and it would just be depressing to see myself miss it day after day. So I'm going to do my own thing, 30k in the month of November. I didn't sign up for NaNo (or KazNo, which is the same goal as mine) but oh well. I want to focus on writing, not on keeping up with the message boards. We'll see how it goes, and I can always check in to #nano on twitter. 30k is 100 words a day, completely doable as long as I make the time to do it, but I want to shoot for 1200 words a day so I can have weekends off. That extra two hundred words is going to be a big stumbling block for me mentally, but I want to try having a bigger goal with the planned weekends off. Fridays may be a problem, but that's just going to have to be something I work around.

I'm also not working on Malevolent Soul. And I don't care. The stories in my head are just too complicated to figure out for my First Novel Ever, so I am constantly trying to make things simpler, at least so I can finish a first draft. So, I will be writing That Paranormal Teen Romance Novel That's Been Done A Thousand Times Before. I read enough of these that I know the structure, and hopefully I will be able to force myself to keep the plot simple. I would much rather just write a straight plot and finish a first draft with 15-20k, then beef it up with subplots in the end of the month. SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE. I can do this.

I have no idea what the plot is going to be so far. I usually start out with no idea and the ideas start to come to me as I work with the characters. Speaking of, that's another of my problems I'm hoping to work on with a simpler story. I have too many characters, and suddenly the characters that are important to the plot have disappeared and the ones that are doing everything don't do anything meaningful. Keep it to a few so they all remain important and interesting. It's my first book, and a NaNo book (sort of), IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE GOOD. It just has to be FINISHED.

It's about merpeople again. I still like the idea of merpeople, back from the story I was working on this past spring, and it's also the one thing I haven't read twenty books about so I don't feel the urge to chuck my computer against the wall from dealing with horrible cliched creatures. I need a good nickname for my own NaNo, otherwise it isn't official. Like KazNo. =] GiNo? Lame. RiNo is a little funnier. GRiNo makes me sound like a pedophile grease-monkey. In any case, wish me luck! And good luck to everyone else doing NaNo this year! I'll keep working on the nickname....

1 comment:

  1. Great idea - working at one's own pace is a much better idea than going crazy working at an insane one (which Nanowrimo pretty much is).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete