Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Irrepressible Library

This is going to be my new weekly feature. I am always stumbling upon new books and can hardly keep them straight, not to mention there is seriously not enough time in the day (or the world) to read everything that I want to. I need to delegate. And relegate. I was always on the slower side of speed, and going through the editing program at college has made me an even slower reader. And now, I read to simultaneously enjoy the book and to pick it apart to it's bones, so I'm still just as slow.



These two books are at the top of my list, though for different reasons. I want to read Peculiar Children because the pictures are awesome, and not so much for the story. And I always enjoy a good creep-out. I want to read Retribution Falls because it sounds like an awesome book. Wild West space cowboys? How much more awesome can you get? I'm about two chapters into each of these books. RF is just as awesome as I expected it to be. PC is exactly as boring as I expected. I don't want to flip through the book to look at the pictures ahead of time, because I'm going for the full-frontal creep-out. But it's hard. And the biggest thing about RF is that I don't want to get too into it. It's a horrible balance I have to strive for or I will never get any writing done.



I really want to read all three of these books, but they all have the same problem. HARDCOVER. Damn. Don't get me wrong, I am all about supporting authors. All you need is to peek at the two heaped bookshelves stuff into my bedroom to see that. But there is no way I can afford all those hardcovers. Not to mention, they are uncomfortable to hold, heavy, and bulky. I'm already carrying around a laptop, and I don't have a Mary Poppins bag. I live in a county with a great library system, but is only so-so on the sci-fi and fantasy. They usually have the book I'm looking for, but then the problem is getting it into your hands becasue there's a list of ten people who have it on hold ahead of you. The demand is always higher than the supply.

Hum and the Shiver and a great premise: the magic is controlled by the music. Also, it is a very laid back prose, from what I gather like Name of the Wind or Among Others, which I have really fallen in love with lately. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Although, the whole thing depends on if the magic is believable. If it's "Pluck a few strings, alakazam," we may have some problems. But judging by all the positive reviews, I think it'll be fine.

Quantum Thief: To be honest, this has been on my TBR list for so long I don't even remember what it's about. All I remember is fast-paced, complicated, and weird. Another book with a pile of positive reviews. This came out earlier in the year, so will likely be out in paperback first.

Awakenings was recently reviewed on Bookworm Blues (a great site for book suggestions). As was One Percenters. OP is from the perspective of a killer (fascinating) and A deals with amnesia and memory loss. I should be giving better synopses, but it's hard when a book just catches my eye. I know what I like, and I know what sounds interesting. And...

There: I went back and added links to the reviews. I love book review sites. I have my favorites, their linked and starred on the left sidebar. Check 'em out, and let me know if there are other great review sites I'm missing out on.



Wither was on my list and off again when it first came out, but after reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone, another YA book with a gloriously unique premise, I'm interested in it again. People know exactly how long they are going to live, 25 for males and 20 for females, and the main character wants to escape to find her little brother amidst an f-ed up love triangle, crazy scientist father-in-law, and sister wives. I make it sound weird, but trust me it sounds really good. And come on, the cover.

Nothing and A Curse Dark as Gold I found today on Jodi Spark's blog. They both sound great. Her blog revolves around more middle grade than teen, but CDG is a teen book. Her description of N was "Fuck." (and it's middle grade!) and CDG is a retelling of Rumplestiltskin.  They both sound great, and have both won awards. I'm also interested in checking out the award list for some other book recs.

Whew! What a jam-packed post! But I am a firm believer in word-of-mouth recs, so it was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment