Thursday, October 6, 2011

God's War

I finished God's War by Kameron Hurley. It wasn't good as I thought. I started writing a review and ended up getting pissed off and just ranting, and then I didn't feel like writing a review anymore. The core of this book is about intolerance, and it's a good message. I see a lot of intolerance and it pisses me the fuck off. Hence the rant, that I won't be posting. Not everything has to be posted on the internet.

Anyway, the characters were two dimensional, the plot muddled and without clear motivations, and even after finishing it I still don't understand why everything was happening. Some bad people were doing some bad stuff. Okay. It was a really good effort that just didn't quite pull it off. There was some really great ideas with setting and I liked the magic system, the unrequited love left everything wonderfully tense at the end, but I still feel like I'm missing something, either some part of the plot or someone's motivation that gave everything a reason to be. I'm hoping this is from first-author syndrome and will clear up in the second book, but to be honest I don't even know if I'll read it. I need a break. It took a long time to get through this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment