Friday, September 30, 2011

Problems

I keep saying I want to write something short because I still have yet to write a full draft of anything. (That is so sad when I say it.) I said that about my Merpeople story, I said it about Malevolent Soul, and I said it about Red Sun in Evening. But everything always develops into novel length stories! Ok, so maybe just 100 page novels, but that is still definitely out of the short story range. I can't think in short stories. Probably because I can't stand them, and never go near them. I've bought several short story collections, because I really WANT to like them, but I'll read one or two of the interesting-sounding ones, then put it down in disgust, omg I can't believe I wasted my time on TWO of those.

Hence my problem. It is damn near impossible to just bang out a novel. Actually, I'm pretty sure there is never any "banging out." I know I need to just sit down and keep writing. One thing that I know DOES help is focusing on only one chapter at a time. I KNOW I say this all the time. I KNOOOWWWW. Now I just have to write the fucking thing. This whole writing thing would be so much easier to fail at if I DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT. Too bad life's a bitch, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on short stories - they are impossible to read! It always feels like an incomplete story and therefore not worth my time. I like to devote myself to a full story or nothing.

    As for writing them, I have NEVER written an "actual" short story. Mine always turn out to be the prologue for a full novel, or a day-in-the-life-of a full novel. I don't know how people do it.

    The trick that works the best for me is to not think about how long the story is going to be at the beginning. Just write it.

    After a while, you may start to see just how long it's going to be (this is what happened with my current WIP). Then you set a ballpark word count, and try to curve your story to fit into it. This way, it doesn't seem to go on forever. When you go to edit it, you can add in scenes that you may have overlooked - or, of course, cut out useless ones.

    And deadlines are always great - they make you evaluate the story and get it out before you lose all interest. Set one you can accomplish, but not so strict that you freak out and refuse to continue (done that before).

    The important thing: don't worry about how long it's going to be - JUST WRITE IT. Don't think of it in terms of short or long - just get it out, and then worry about that later. If it's too long for a short story but too short for a full novel, you add, or declare it a novella. But don't worry about how long it is during the first draft. You only make yourself miserable and never get anything written.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete