Friday, September 2, 2011

Hi all

Haven't been in a while. To be honest, I haven't written anything for a week. I was completely disheartened for a couple of days, but something thankfully snapped back around Tuesday and I started thinking about draft two of Malevolent Soul. Like I said, haven't written, but I don't feel completely at a loss, at least.

Everything has been kind of crazy, actually, and I don't know why. I haven't been able to finish anything until finally The Magicians last week. I really enjoyed it. I'd like to read the next one but I'm thinking of waiting until I can get my hands on a library copy. Hardcovers just kill me. They're expensive and uncomfortable to hold, and they take up a ton of space in my bag. Plus, they're way too pretty and I always worry about denting the corners of the cover or ripping the dust jacket... I actually spilled a pen on my cover of Magicians. Figures. I'm definitely a mass market paperback kind of girl - I like it rough and dirty. =]

I've had a lot of cravings to re-read books lately. Not sure why, because I hardly ever re-read. But I want to read Name of the Wind and Among Others. I think I'm getting very sick of books that are just more of the same. This Dark Endeavor, for example. A great premise for a story, plus it makes me want to read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but I'm just super sick of the YA voice. Plus it's a period book, so it's weird Victorian-speak along with the YA. I need a good adult book with some fuckin' and some swearin' and some heads chopped off. Maybe I'll give Gardens of the Moon another shot, though it'll probably be way too dense for me right now.

Not to mention, I ran out of good tv shows. I just finished Firefly and Serenity and Dollhouse and now nothing else can measure up. Talk about a Joss Whedon kick. I need something good! Any recommendations? maybe that's why I've been a bit down about my writing, Whedon is just so freakin brilliant! Who am I kidding, I'll probably just rewatch Firefly. That show is what made me take my last break from writing to evaluate my characters. It's hard to write a story about lame characters. So I've been working on that. For example, Bernie used to be a nurse (in some weird, noneducated way that obviously didn't work) but now she is a seamstress, and it fits so much better.

If anyone has some book recommendations or tv shows, I'd love to hear them! PS. Happy Birthday Phil! =] (birthday week, remember?)

No comments:

Post a Comment