Monday, August 8, 2011

So, are you a REAL writer?

One of the biggest pieces of advice given to new writers is to write every day. Authors stand behind this with a pike and shotgun (covering all their bases) and tell you if you don't write every day you're not a real writer.

I don't write every day. I know I'm only starting to get serious, but I'm a big fan of having breaks. Like a mental health day. During the week, yes. I try to write every day. And most of the time that happens. But during the weekends I barely get anything down.

My main goal for August NaNoWriMo was to write every day. I did really well the first week, until the weekend hit. Then I wanted to run around, work on my quilt, I watched Phil & co. brew a beer for the first time (which was really interesting and a learning experience), and I started a new book (binding-wise, not writing) and bought a whole pile of really cool tools. I think I wrote 100 words on Saturday...

But now it's Monday, and I'm ready to get back in the swing of writing. I'm refreshed from my break and excited to start the next chapter.

So what I'm trying to say is that it's okay if you don't write every single day. The new week will start with a fresh slate, and as long as you pick it back up again come Monday, you'll be fine. If you're anything like me, you'll have a better word count for taking a day or two off. It gives your subconscious a chance to work things out on it's own, and it lets you finally fold that pile of laundry that's been sitting in the basket for a month...

No comments:

Post a Comment