Thursday, July 7, 2011

Motivation

I decided that I need to start talking about how I keep myself motivated. Everything. From watching the progress bar get progressively more filled to those days when wrist-slitting and head-bashing are necessary to getting just 200 words out. My biggest battle so far has been just getting words out. Turning off the inner-editor, making time around the hell-hole that is mine and everyone's life, and just doing it. Why? Because I want to. Because I don't want to sit in a cubicle for the rest of my life. Because I want to get tattoos all down my arms and may need to consider a career that makes doing that socially acceptable (though I may just do it anyway. Backs are lame, and why would I get this awesome thing if no one is able to see it? The point of a tattoo is to show it off. Moving on.) Also, I've been slacking on the blog because my writing energy has been put towards writing (go figure). Naturally, it's easiest to write about what I'm dealing with.

My first huge obstacle was finding time to write that wouldn't take my precious time away from my reading. I was writing little by little, getting it in whenever I could, but what made my word count jump was finally putting aside a chunk of time every day that was specifically devoted to writing. I can't tell you how many people/bloggers/authors have said to do this, but I didn't listen to them. Then, just within these past few months I started writing on the train. Lugging my computer every day, and opening it up and typing. Sure, some mornings I stare dumbly out the window, and sure some afternoons I'm falling asleep. But once I started this, it was AWESOME. I have to take the train, so that's 2 1/2 hours every day that can be devoted to writing, and my nights are free for chores and plans and errands and reading.

Also, you should check out Mur Lafferty at http://murverse.com. She has a blog and a podcast, and I was listening to the podcast in college before I was even interested in writing. She covers technical stuff and listener questions, author interviews, and most importantly that it doesn't matter how bad you suck, as long as you enjoy writing. Her podcast got me through many a late-night shift cleaning classrooms, not to mention her podiobooks. Check her out.

Update, about five minutes after I originally posted: I had every intention of writing this blog post then finishing out my lunch break by working on my WIP. I ended up clicking around the interwebs. Haha, go figure. I've got some BICHOKing to do. (That sounds like I'm gargling phlegm, or something. Need a better acronym, HoTay.)

No comments:

Post a Comment