Friday, July 22, 2011

Itchy itchy

I really want to be writing the meat of my story. The middle. Where all the shit happens. But I feel like I still need to know my characters better, and my characters need to figure out what the hell they're going to be. Maybe this calls for writing some scenes that won't end up in the story. But I'm tired of writing the beginning and trying to figure things out from there. I need to figure out their histories, and their motivations, and all that writerly crap, but I wish it was already done in my head so I know how they will act. The shortfalls of discovery writing, I guess. BUT I am still figuring out my own process for these things, so I just have to keep plugging. Bird by bird, yes?

1 comment:

  1. Just keep writing and don't look back! You can go back and fix stuff later. I've found the best way to figure out "all that writerly crap" is to just write and let it create itself along the way. Your characters and story will know what to do. Learn by doing and all that.

    Ah, the fun of discovery writing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete