Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Gargles

Ok, so this whole "writing thing" really hasn't been happening for the past couple of days. I don't particularly know why, I would just get on the train and zonk out or stare out the window with my computer on my lap until I gave up and read.

Over the weekend, I plotted out the background of one of my characters. I plan to write it out. That would be a good thing to tackle this week, since I am leaving for vacation Wednesday night I don't expect to get much writing done this week either.

I think one problem I've been having is that I'm finding out I need to do more planning and background work. I've been trying to avoid brainstorming because that's always what slowed me down. A la, "If I already know what happens, why do I have to write it?" But I'm finding I need to know more about my characters before I throw them into scenes, because when I start "pantsing" my characters (haha) they all turn out exactly the same. And not that interesting. I originally started working on the background of my villain because I was going to break it into chunks and use it as epigraphs in the beginning of each chapter, but I think it's just a really good exercise and may do it for the other characters too. (Plus, everyone loves origin stories (especially me). X-Men: First Class rocked, if you haven't seen it yet.)

The problem with all of these really cool origin stories is that I don't feel like I'm writing. I'm not making any headway on my WIP, and even though I am sorting out important information in my head I feel like I'm just making excuses not to write.

I know I'm still learning how this whole hoopla works. My biggest problem is still keeping myself focused. This is where Ravenclaw's Lost Diadem would be handy (damn that Tom Riddle!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally with you - brainstorming can feel like it's taking up all the time you need to write the actual book.

    Once you've done the brainstorming, though, and return to actually writing the book, you'll be thankful you did. It helps flesh out the characters, discover new motives and subplots, and rounds out the overall story.

    And it DOES count as writing your book!

    (I talked about brainstorming on my blog, if you want to peek at it. May 18, 2011.)

    ReplyDelete