Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Two Quick Reviews

I finished both these books last week so I've had a little distance from them, but I still wanted to write up something quick about each. Oddly, both of the books revolved around death. And I read them over the rapture. Not on purpose.

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

This book was very quick and simple, but I still found it enjoyable. It had a unique structure that just screamed "New Writer" to me, but like I said it was still enjoyable. It's about the Greek Gods, specifically the story of Persephone and Hades, and it took a modern twist on the tale.

Like I said, this book suffered from "New Writer Syndrome." Not that it's a bad thing, because let's be serious it's way more than I have yet been able to do, but it is obvious. The characters are emotionless at times and I really could never get into the romance. Kate and Henry's interactions just seemed empty. There was no emotional pull. It was still a good story and I read it in a weekend, and I think it's a good book to pick up for new writers to see how some things work and others just don't. I would recommend it though.


Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

This book I would definitely recommend. It's about the typical popular, stuck-up high school girl who thinks the world revolves around her. Then she is killed in a car accident, and is forced to relive her last day until she can break the cycle.I don't want to say much about this book because the ending slaps you in the face. All I can say is GO READ IT. It rocked. The main character goes through so much development and I had to force myself not to burst out in tears in the middle of the train when I finished it. Really gives you some perspective on life and the things you take for granted. I purposely waited to review this book because otherwise I would have been a snotty mess. Seriously, read it. Then give it to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment