Monday, April 18, 2011

What a difference a weekend makes

Another weekend, another three movies. I promise, I don't always sit around all weekend watching movies. Only on Sundays. But we enjoyed everything we watched, and this weekend they came complete with Thai food. =]

First, Tangled. So cute! This movie was in the style of Old-Disney wonderfulness, and it was just awesome. We were cracking up at Eugene and Maximus's goofing around, and the chameleon was by far the best character. Oh yeah, Mandy Moore was good too. (I'll admit, I like her. Plus, Disney/animated stuff suits her very well, better than her chick flick exploits.) Not much to say about this movie, it was your typical Disney fairy tale, but it was good. My one complaint was the extremely hokey Beauty-and-the-Beast-swirling-eddies-of-magic ending. You'll know it when you get there. You can't miss it, actually. It takes up THE WHOLE SCREEN FOR AN ENTIRE 30 SECONDS. The songs, as far as Disney sing alongs go, are lackluster, but the original soundtrack by Alan Menken had some great tracks.

Second, The Game of Thrones premiere episode! Ok, so this isn't a movie, but it still rocked. There are so many characters thrown at you in the beginning of the book that I was wondering how they were going to handle it. They did a remarkably good job, actually, except with the Stark brothers. Needless to say, I'm hooked for the rest of the episodes, and I really want to know how they are going to organize everything. They called the series A Game of Thrones and not A Song of Ice and Fire, so does that mean that they are only going to make the first movie into the miniseries? How on earth would they end that? The first book has such a non-conclusive ending. But, the tv did a GREAT job of portraying the world in the books. Super excited for the next episodes! And I'm glad to have a Sunday-night show again.

I've read the first two and a half books in this series. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but there's no avoiding the slogging. These books are nothing like The Name of the Wind, but definitely more with LotR on the boredom scale. They have amazing characters and a freaking awesome world and really cool plot arcs, but it just takes SO LONG to get any information, and most of the time I miss it because I started zoning out while I was reading. Watching this first episode really made me want to 1. reread the first two books and 2. keep reading with the rest, especially since A Dance with Dragons is coming out in July, but I just don't think I can do it. I'll stick with the tv show for now.

The last thing we watched was Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express (the new one with David Suchet). I've seen this before, and I love this movie. Even if you haven't read the book (which I haven't) this is such a great movie. One of the best endings in a movie ever. You have to see this movie. The characters are just meh, I think they played out way too much and I think a lot of them are hokey, but don't worry about them. Just watch the movie for Poirot.

Overall, a great movie weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment