Monday, March 7, 2011

Genre worries

Even though I didn't write anything over the weekend, I did a bit today. The "not writing chronologically" is helping (at least for now). I keep a list of scenes to write, and I just pick one when I have a few minutes and at the very least start outlining it a bit.

Dan Wells' Story Structure has been helping me a lot. Plot was always my weakness, even in short stories for school, because I would be chugging along great and then get to the ending and just freeze. My endings sucked. But with this, I know what I am working towards the entire time, and even though the ending won't be outlined in detail until I get around to it, just knowing what's going to happen is still better off.

In any case, I was planning a side plot tonight, and I realized that I have a lot of viewpoints. Too many, for a teen book. It doesn't have to be a teen book, but I think the plotline is too naive for an adult book. But teen books usually have one, maybe two viewpoint characters, depending on if it's romance or action. Not that I am writing this book with the intention of selling it, but it tripped me up a bit. As of now, I have four viewpoint characters along with the usual cadre of side characters.

What I need to do is just ignore this and keep chugging through with the writing. Who cares about genre? At the very least, write the first draft, and then revise for genre during revision. I NEED to remember to just KEEP WRITING! That's the most important thing.

I will name this story "Projekt MERPEEPS" for now. Blogs about my floundering will have the tag "Merpeeps," for those of you who want to keep up. If you haven't guessed, there are Merpeople in my story. And Golems, but I haven't gotten to them yet. They will require some research since I don't know much about them, but picked them for the bad guys (opposing elements, and all that). If I'm in a sociable mood I may post some writing, but don't get your hopes up. I'm still self-conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment