Monday, February 14, 2011

Resolutions

I am woefully behind schedule on this month's chapter. And look, it's only month two. *grimace* In lieu of this week's Writing Excuses episode, I am going to make a promise to my readers (all zero of them). I am going to write for an hour tonight. And don't get me wrong, I have a lot to do tonight. I have to label, tape, and bring all the boxes I packed last week with books down to the basement, put new sheets on my bed, and fold laundry I washed over the weekend. Ok, I probably won't fold the clothes. But, I do have other things to do tonight. And I am going to make sure that I write for a solid hour. This does not include any writing that I may or may not get done while on the train. Hopefully, this will be an hour with a respectable amount of actual typing, and not an hour of banging my head against the corner of my desk. I kind of like the shape it's in; it took me 22 years to achieve just this perfect noggin. Will try to keep you updated as the night goes on.

Update 8:45 pm: I made my bed, paid my bills, packaged up the boxes (but didn't take them downstairs), and I am now starting my hour of writing. Good luck to me!

Update 9:25 pm: Okay, so I didn't last the whole hour. But my mind hit blank. Now, granted my first chapter was way too long. But this second chapter is working out to be way too short. I'm winding everything up too fast. Part of this is that it is just a first draft, and hopefully while revising my second draft I will be able to fill it out a lot more with scenery and details. But that doesn't change the fact that everything happened too quickly. I'm not done yet, but I'll need to do a bit of brainstorming to write some more. I think I'm going to hop in the shower now, but I probably won't any more tonight. Don't even know how much brainstorming I'll get done. I'll admit, I'm tired from my day. It would be awesome to work out a way to write in the morning....

I thought discovery writing would help me out from outlining, but the chapters seem to get less planned out the further on I go. Dan Wells' method is to discovery write the first half and then outline the second half. I think this is a method that would work well for me. But I have to find a way to keep myself interested. If I already know what is going to happen, I lose interest and end up writing even less than I already am (surprisingly, such a thing is possible). It is also frustrating because I know this story sucks. It's derivative, and boring, and choppy, and there's nothing I can do about it because it bothers me, and if I were reading a book like this I would have put it down ages ago. I want to be able to see everything in my head and start fixing things. I live for the fixing! (So does Gail Carriger. I like justifying my methods with other authors, haha.) Hmmm... will need to work some things out. Hopefully I can do some thinking tomorrow. It also threw me off that I switched notebooks to something smaller and easier to carry, but I don't have any of my current notes. I mean, I have the general feelings in my head, but it is a lot easier to be able to see it written down on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment