Saturday, January 22, 2011

About Me

Even though this is my personal blog, I am trying to center it around writing so I will try to keep this related, too. I graduated from Penn State University in December 2009 with a degree in English/Editing and Publishing, but I consider myself a science kid at heart. (I was a physics major for two years, decided I wanted to edit scientific journals/books, and They said I had to be an English major. Wasn't too happy about that change--I hate English classes.) Don't get me wrong, I love reading and most of my life has revolved around that, but I am a firm believer that some books just shouldn't be assigned in a class. They are going to blow, regardless. And please, I would love for someone to change my mind. Explain to me why Tom Jones is a relevant read for today. Teachers in middle school and high school should fight to get popular books read in class. I think the most important thing is just getting kids to read. Get them off the television and computer for once. Worry about moral relativism later. I have a lot of respect for people like J. K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, and yes, even Stephenie Meyer, because even though they aren't writing books that will last hundreds of years (though arguably Harry Potter might), they get kids excited to read (more on this later--maybe--but there's my history for ya).

In any case, I didn't become interested in writing until after college. I always liked reading too much to bother with it. I read other author's blogs and they talk about how they wrote their first story at the age of eight, were published in their high school newspaper, and totally rocked the literature contests at their college. It makes me a little disappointed sometimes, because frankly I would not have graduated with an English major if I could have helped it. But I just have to remind myself that I'm a different person, and things work differently for me. I love my life, and I write for me.

I'm debating whether or not I should post my story online as I write it, drafts and notes included. That way, anyone reading this can really see how I develop. I've even set a website up for it already--but it all depends on how embarrassed I am about posting my first story. It's not that I'm embarrassed about the level of writing (I realise and fully accept that my first story will suck), I just don't know how much I want it exposed to the world. But then on the other hand, posting it online will give me another incentive to keep writing. I've written the first four chapters of a couples stories, but have never lasted further than that. The current one is the most original as of yet, so I'm hoping I stick with this longer.

We shall see. Enough rambling. Welcome to the life of me. (That rhymes.) I haven't written much the past few days. Of the last scene I have left in chapter one I'm probably only a quarter of the way through it. In all honesty, my chapter one probably covers three chapters worth of information, but it works for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment